Monday 16 May 2011

Always One Step Behind

I am currently attempting to potty train Tay. Good; Kooks and Squash did it like pro's! I showed them the potty, took off their nappy and sat them on it. They were dry. Seriously, they were as good as that. There were never any accidents, and I was a proud, if somewhat smug, Mamma.
Kooks and Squash were both 'model' children. They were well behaved, did as they were told and looked cute all of the time. They took to the potty immediately.
Tay-Tay? Well Tay does what she wants when she wants. She is well behaved when she is doing what she wants to be doing. She rarely does as she is told, unless it is something she wanted to do any how. She looks cute all of the time, and refuses to take to her potty.
Now, everyone in our household is completely enchanted by Tay. Such is her charm that we can never help but laugh with her. She is fiercely independent, bossy and cunning. Let me give you an example...
Tay-Tay started walking at an unknown time. I have no date as to when she took her first step. When she is grown and has babies of her own, she will look at me and ask when she took her own first steps, just to compare with her own child. I will tell her, that because of her cunning ways, we'll never know. She has herself to blame and my terrible memory cannot be blamed this time. Why? Because she kept it a closely guarded secret. We had our suspicions that she could walk...I was in the kitchen one day and literally heard the pitter-patter of tiny feet coming from the living room. I raced through and she was sat on the floor playing with her toy. Where I had left her. Another time, I was sorting laundry upstairs. Tay and Squash were playing in his bedroom next door when he left for a moment. He heard a noise and rushed back in; Tay-Tay was running across his bedroom. She stopped and dropped when she spotted him. Of course I rushed in too, but she was acting all nonchalant while Squash and I scratched our heads.
It became a frequent thing in our home. Someone would spot a prancing Tay; she would stop and drop. So, one day, the FFALWL and I decided to just go for it; we sat a few feet apart from one another and encouraged our secret walker to take a few steps. She did...then screamed. She was so pissed she had been busted; the secret no longer hers. Fast forward a few months and she felt comfortable enough to show the world how clever she was. She was 15 months old by then.
Everything Tay has accomplished, she has perfected before showing us. She had us believe she couldn't talk until I heard her talking in her sleep one night. The FFALWL and I grinned like happy fools outside her bedroom door; not so cunning in your sleep huh!
Now we are potty training. It seems she is doing her usual. She will only pee next to her potty. She turned two in April and I'm anxious to get her started. We bought her the poshest of potties we could find and we had truly thought that she would be with us on this one. The kid hates wearing a nappy and insists on running around butt naked all day long. We have even had embarrassing episodes of her stripping of infront of perfect strangers. Surely she would like to potty train?? Wrong; she hates it. This posh potty has a lid, a toilet roll holder, wet wipes holder, converts to go onto a normal toilet and well, she should love it. Right; she loves it. It's her place to sit occasionally when she catches up with Peppa Pig and has a light snack. Mamma got smart and bought a Peppa Pig chair to carry out such activities and then allows her to run around butt naked in the hope that she'll sit on the potty and 'accidently' Pee. In. The. Potty. Wrong again, this is what happened this morning...
She sat on her Peppa Pig chair, drinking tea, watching Peppa Pig. When she was done, I took off her nappy and replaced the chair for the posh potty. She sat down and I carried on with my morning housework. The next thing was Tayla rushing through to me in the kitchen squealing, 'ah pooped Mommyyyy, ah pooped on der!! Ohhh Mannn!' I rushed through with her, foolishly hoping that there would indeed be a poop on der. 'No Tay, you wee'd...there, not on der'. (Because Daddy is a Texan and Mamma is a mix of German and English, the little one is owner to an accent which never fails to raise a smile. Even when she wee's on der...).
So, it seems, here we are again. Tay-Tay doing what she does best, and leaving us a step behind. Perfecting her art before presenting it to the world. Be it walking, talking or well, weeing in a more appropriate place, I guess she'll do it  and show us in her own time. We'll watch her present her art as a pro, rather than a novice.

6 comments:

  1. My mom said I was like that as a baby too! I wouldn't share anything new until I had perfected it. Sounds like you've got your hands full there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum often tells me similar stories about when I was a kid. I am in denial of course! My mum also loves to tell me this is karma. I am again in denial! Just keep smiling!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious x

    sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so young. You know Texans take their time. BTW come and see what I have for you today! Yes, you are welcome. Cause you really are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging by my Texan, you are totally right! The man is so laid back it's unreal. Hs laid back attitude and Mamma's stubborness...disaster! haha.
    I have seen...and I love! So thank you...you are a super star. And you really are too!! Really :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I am in the midst of potty training too. But, it's a four legged princess who is also enchantingly adorable! I have all Dudes at my casa and the potty training challenges are thankfully behind us. We still need to work on wearing our pants front ways though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete