Sunday 24 April 2011

Many a reason to be thankful

Every holiday I come across all nostalgic. I realise how good I have it...truly. And during the holidays I always feel we owe it to ourselves to give our grumbling a break and count our many blessings. Every person I know has a roof over their head, food in their tummy, clothes on their back and money going into their bank on a regular basis. Yet we still think we have it bad.
Which is clearly why I had the mother of all grumbles at the FFALWL this Easter Sunday morning. Fabulous. Let's backtrack...
All was well in our little bubble. We got up, we drank coffee and we laughed. I caught up with my emails; the man played a hand of Poker on his iPod. Very civilized. We got ready; the FFALWL bathed the babies whilst I had a shower. I saw to the babies while the FFALWL showered. So far so good. Then I came back downstairs. There were toys littering the floor. Breakfast dishes to be washed. Floors to be vacuumed and cleaned and bins to be emptied. The red mist descended. I got mad. I resented that on Easter Sunday, a day ideally spent with family enjoying the day, was going to be spent with me cleaning. I told the FFALWL how I resented this. He couldn't see why I was upset. He would help; the job would get done in half the time, and we are free to move on. Whilst in the Red Zone, all reasoning escapes me. I am the victim, and everyone else gets a holiday. Perfect. So whilst scrubbing little Tay-Tay's  breakfast plate with unnecessary force it came to me. I remembered all the previously mentioned reasons I have to feel thankful. I have a roof in which toys can messily reside under. I'm scrubbing plates because we are fortunate enough to have eaten the food which had dirtied them.
Here was me with four healthy children and the FFALWL (who also happens to have a good, solid career). We live in a nice home; we're able to have nice things. And actually, in the grand scheme of things, I have practically nothing to moan about.
And so it was time to eat a slice of humble pie. Ugh. I told the FFALWL that I would like for us to not argue anymore. 'Uh Jen...I never wanted to argue in the first place.' Ugh. I told him I would 'appreciate a little more help around here'. 'Yes Jenni. Which is exactly what you get. When I'm not at work.' Ugh. I told him I was sorry. 'I'm sorry Jen. I love you.' Ugh Ugh Ugh...how do they do that??
So after my 10 (30) minute wobble, I was back to being thankful for the life which I have been blessed with. And a promise to myself that the next time that red mist descends, I will try harder to see that I, along with all of you, have it good. Happy Easter, guys.

3 comments:

  1. Magical. Thank you Jenni, just what the Easter bunny ordered x

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect. Happy easter to you and your adorable family Jenni. Love Sarah x
    PS. Can only post on here i i click on anonymous for some reason. Just know thats its me and im not anonymous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank YOU beautiful ladies x
    Sarah, I knew it was you allll along ;) x

    ReplyDelete