Saturday 30 April 2011

The Love Of A Prince

Today a Prince made his Princess smile...
Today I watched our Prince marry his girl. The love that emanated from them was visible to all. There were moments I felt like an unwitting voyeur; the secret smiles they shared were for the two of them exclusively.
While I was watching, it was clear his lady was fighting nerves. Was, until she joined him at the alter and his steady gaze met hers. His gaze never wavered and she strengthened beneath it.
Once upon a time, I was left feeling I would never find my prince. Everywhere I turned were slimy frogs promising a swift transformation if I would just give them a kiss. I kissed some frogs...sadly there were no princes and so I gave up. I had the little ones after all; my own little prince and princess was all this lady needed.
One day I attended a ball (house party) with a friend. We quaffed champagne (jagerbombs) and I met a man. I knew then that I had met my prince. One catch...he could be my prince for 4 months only. This prince had to go to a far away land to fight for his country. If that was how it was to be, then I would take what I could. I couldn't tell how or when, or even why, but I knew when I met this man, that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I wasn't ready for it, but are we ever? I tried to make every moment count with my new found prince. I wanted to remember every detail; I wrote down every love note (text message) which passed between us. Really. I still have that book now. Everything I wanted to remember, went in the book. If I couldn't keep my prince, I at least wanted to have the memories of having had him in my life.
As the weeks flew by, I started to hate chicken. Not so much hate, but more it hated me. Lordy did chicken start to make me one sick Mamma. Mamma was to be a Mamma again.
The fear I felt at that time is inexplicable. What was I going to do? My prince was going to get mad, and turn into a frog. The fear I felt at that time wasn't only for myself. It was for the new life growing inside me, a new child who would probably never get to meet its father.
After a time of soul searching, I decided if I couldn't keep my prince, I would keep his heir apparent with me regardless. I told the prince. The prince said 'Really?' I said 'Really.' He said 'Huh' I said 'Huh?' He smiled. I smiled. All was good.
As the time came closer to the prince leaving, I would go through moments of panic. I was scared. Would he come back. Would he miss me enough to come back. We had only been together for such a short time, would we last a separation of 15 months when we'd only just met? So many worries flying through my mind. My prince would hold me, his steady gaze would meet mine. His gaze never wavered; he gave me strength.
A few years have passed since this time. There have been many times where I've had times of panic, and every time he has given me his strength. His gaze never wavered.
Only since meeting my prince have I known what it means to share those secret smiles. To look at one another and know instantly what the other is thinking or feeling.
Only since meeting my prince have I looked into his eyes; his gaze steady, and felt the instant calm and strength travel through me.
And only since meeting my prince have I laughed every single day, through all the ups and downs, and thanked God that the mini prince and princess were bless to have had this prince waltz into our lives.
Today my Prince made his Princess smile...

4 comments:

  1. I love fairy tales like yours. Cannot wait to see your wedding it will be royal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairy tales full stop :) and I caanot wait for my wedding either! I am anxious to become Mrs. H!! Just can't come soon enough x

    ReplyDelete
  3. When IS this date!?! I miss you guys!! ~Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever we can figure out how to get married!! Everything seems to have come to a standstill, and it seems everyone we talk to doesn't seem to know the protocal for him marring a foreign national :( But hopefully, asap!! Of course, I will be letting people know way in advance of a date, should anyone fancy a shimmy over the pond to come join us!! ;) Miss you too beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete